We had fifteen athletes make the trek to Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon for the USATF Jr Olympic National Championships. Nationals is tough every year. Nationals is also a seven-day meet with qualifiers, semis, and finals all on different days, depending on the events. There were also significantly more athletes at this year’s Nationals because it was at Hayward Field.
Out of our 34 Wolfpack athletes who competed at our Region meet, 31 qualified to compete at Nationals in at least one event; sometimes multiple events. 15 of them chose to make the trip to Oregon to compete at the sacred track at Hayward Field last week.
You can view the official results here, and here’s how our Pack did:
· KATHLEEN M. competed in the 800m and 1500m. She’s the current record holder in our region in these two events. She placed 23rd in the 800m with an almost two second PR, then she placed 18th in the nation in the 1500m with another PR.
· GISELLE F. competed in 100m hurdles, 200m hurdles, and long jump. She placed 52d in the nation in 100m hurdles and got a PR. She placed 47th in her 200m hurdles and 32nd in long jump.
· LULU M. competed in the 1500m and placed 33rd in the nation with a six second PR.
· TREVOR D. competed in the 800m and 1500m runs. He finished 32nd in the 800m with a new PR and 26th in the 1500m (after getting tripped at the start and almost falling!) with a four second PR.
· KHLOE P. competed in the 800m and 1500m and she smashed her PRs in both. She placed 32nd in the 800m with an almost seven second PR. Then she placed 20th in the 1500m with a nine-second PR.
· MICHAEL C. competed in the 100m dash and placed 52nd in the nation.
· RIA J. competed in the 400m dash and placed 61st in the nation with an almost four second PR.
· MARKO J. competed in the 800m, 1500m, and 3000m. He finished 67th in the 800m. Then he finished 61st in the 1500m with a 15-second PR and 53rd in the 3000m with an almost 20-second PR.
· GABE M. competed in long jump and placed 46th in the nation.
· ELLA K. competed in the 400m dash and placed 69th in the nation.
· PEDRO R. competed in the 1500m run and placed 63rd in the nation with a three second PR.
· COOPER B. competed in the 200m dash and 1500m. He placed 70th in the 200m. Then he placed 62nd in the 1500m with a five second PR.
· MAX M. competed in long jump and placed 61st in the nation with a PR of almost a foot!
· ADAM M. competed in the 800m and 3000m runs. He placed 75th in the nation in the 800m with a PR and 72nd place in the 3000m with an almost 20-second PR.
· COOPER H. competed in the 400m, 800m, and shot put. He placed 69th in the 400m and 68th in the 800m. He placed 57th in the nation in shot put with a PR of more than a foot!
This was the largest group of athletes Wolfpack has ever had compete at track and field Nationals and we cannot be prouder of everyone’s hard work. Running at Hayward Field can be intimidating. It’s massive, coaches and parents aren’t allowed on the field, and there were SO many amazing athletes competing from all over the country.
Way to make us all proud!!